St Hugh's aims to provide a secure, happy environment, promoting the welfare of all pupils and enabling them to gain confidence.
- To develop a moral and spiritual awareness in pupils and to lead them to value themselves and others.
- To give a sound academic foundation, to foster a positive work ethic and to encourage pupils to think for themselves and to become independent learners.
- To instil a desire to participate in a wide range of activities and to contribute to the community.
- To encourage a readiness to tackle new tasks and to accept challenges without fear of failure.
- To achieve a genuine, broad preparation for successful transfer to senior school and for the challenges of life ahead.
'The St Hugh's pupils we met were a bright, cheery bunch...Children excel in these calm surroundings...
St Hugh’s is a co-educational preparatory school with a clear sense of purpose: to give our pupils a secure educational foundation and the confidence to be adaptable and independent as they prepare for life beyond the school. We aim to give them all the opportunity and encouragement to develop their own interests and talents, while learning to work and play together and to contribute positively to their community.
There is no competitive selection: we both welcome and cater for pupils of a wide range of ability. Our aim is to foster confidence and a love of learning across this range – an outstanding Scholarship and Common Entrance record and the provision of integral learning support both bear testimony to our inclusive approach.
Extracts from The Good Schools Guide
‘St Hugh’s seems to produce thinkers and listeners (as opposed to shouters) and recognition for this comes in the form of a clutch of top awards for debating and public speaking.’
Extract from the ISI inspection report
'The social development of pupils is outstanding at all ages. This is evident in the harmonious relationships that exist between pupils as well as with the teaching staff and other adults in the school'
Independent Schools Inspectorate