St Hugh's was established at Morland House in Chislehurst in Kent, South East London in 1906 before moving to Lamas House (which became a hospital during WW1) and then Widmore Court in nearby Bickley. In 1945 it moved to its new home at Carswell Manor, a fine Jacobean country house with extensive, attractive grounds. The school proudly bears the name of Hugh of Avalon, Bishop of Lincoln from 1156 to 1200. It is in membership of the Incorporated Association of Preparatory Schools and is administered as a charitable educational trust by a Board of Governors.
For many years St Hugh's was solely a boys' full boarding school. Since 1977 we have been co-educational and we see this as a key element in the family atmosphere which pervades St Hugh's and which enables our children to grow up in an environment where courtesy and consideration for others are paramount.
Carswell Manor, circa 1950
Boarders' Landing, circa 1915
Custom class: landing-image
'There is a real sense of community amongst the pupils and staff that makes a significant contribution to pupils' personal development. A palapble sense of belonging and care for others is shown by all pupils.'
Independent Schools Inspectorate